Monday, January 7, 2008

In the beginning

As a child I wrote - poems, short stories, etc. It seems that most of my writing coincided with particularly stressful times. I would write and write for days at a time, and then stop writing altogether for weeks, months, years at a time only to pick it back up in troubled times.

I suppose that seeing the words in black and white helped me to SEE what I was feeling, or at least to try to sort out those feelings.

At any rate, this is my first step - a baby step - on my path toward fine. A wonderful song by The Indigo Girls came to mind as I typed those words: "Closer to Fine."

I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
maybe give me insight between black and white
and the best thing you ever done for me
is to help me take my life less seriously
It's only life after all...
yeah
Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
and lightness has a call that's hard to hear
and I wrap my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it
I'm crawling on your shore...
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountain, I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain.
There's more than one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line.
And the less I seek my source for some definitive
the closer I am to fine.........

And so I'm walking along this crooked path of life, slowly making my way toward my goal - fine.

This beginning is step one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok I think I'm in love with you! LOL j/k but I don't know many people who like Indigo Girls - well, it's not like I'm out looking for fans but you know what I mean. I always wrote when my mood was black too. I have binders full of melencholy poems etc hahaha...I'll be back to check in on you ;)