Tuesday, January 22, 2008

New running "loop"

Yesterday afternoon after finishing all the crap around the house that needed doing I took my man cub to get some much-needed new shoes (though I'm not sure it was necessary that they cost $50! Argh). I swear that child can go through a pair of shoes in a month flat! He's become much like a dandelion - a beautiful weed that can grow a foot while you're sleeping. I've requested that he simply stop eating for a bit to give me a breather, but alas, the child feels that he must continue eating. "And besides," the smarty britches 3rd grader added, "I'll keep growing even if I stop eating." What could I say to that? The kid is right....



When we got back to the house he agreed to ride with me to calculate new running routes. I took him on my usual route and let him calculate the mileage, then decided upon a new one and calculated the distance on that one. I decided to try out the new route and wow! A change of scenery really is nice. There are only 2 down sides of the new route: First is the 5 or so minutes in which I have to run on a busy street before I'm able to turn onto the street I want; there is no sidewalk there so it's just me against rush hour traffic. Not cool. Second is that the same 5 or so minutes are 5 or so minutes in which I'm running in an "iffy" area. I guess as long as I'm taking that route in daylight and with plenty of people around I'm ok, right?



And besides, I remind myself, I am a blackbelt inTaekwondo. Yep, tis true, though I rarely speak of it and never volunteer that information. It took me 4.5 years at 4-5 nights per week, a few broken bones, lots of sore muscles and untold amounts of money, but I did it. The thing is, though, it's been years since I trained (about 6, to be exact) and I'm guessing that any freaks I would encounter in that "iffy" area would be packing - and I don't mean socks in their pants either. Martial arts requires that one be close enough to use it, and if a gun is involved I can be kept at bay and too far away to use it. Of course, the sheer beauty - and power - of my being a blackbelt is that no one would EVER imagine that I yam what I yam. It's much more likely that any pistol-totin' fool would come right up to me, in which case he/she would be made to feel very sorry indeed.



I highly recommend that each and every woman take a form of martial arts. I could talk/write for hours and hours about all the wonderful benefits, but to chop it all up into one neat blurb, you should know that it creates balance in one's life - mental and physical; strength - mental and physical; promotes honor, respect and integrity. I can't say enough.....



Ok back to work. I am supposed to be working, after all.....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I might be convinced to post one...will get to that this afternoon.

Jess (millyard@tpk.net)

GetBackJoJo said...

Gmaps Pedometer. You don't need to measure your routes in the car! It's awesome! Check it out:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com
I love that he's your man cub.
You're a great writer.

GetBackJoJo said...

And you're a black belt! Holy cow. I'm hoping if I meet a scary dude set on attacking me I can outrun him.

Anonymous said...

First off let me say I'm SO glad you added Blogarithm! Now I can keep track of you ;)
Secondly I am so glad you found yourself a new route! I would love to find a new route. But we kind of live out in the middle of no where - if I want a new route I either have to go mountain climbing or down a highway...not fun.
I suuuure hope you're careful on your new busy road route - those "iffy" areas can be scary. You're right to do it only in the day...what about taking that beast of a dog with you?

AtlantaMom said...

Thanks for the route gadget! I am definitely going to use that! Yes, G-man is my man cub and also my little man. :-) To Shanna - I took my dogbeast with me at first, but she's still so young and puppyish that she actually caused me more problems. At times she would pull ahead, and other times she would fall behind and I'd have to tug her leash to keep up. Still other times she would want to stop and sniff people jogging or walking by, and if someone happened to have a dog with them, fuhgeddaboudit! I decided NO MORE DOG on my runs....