Friday, February 1, 2008

Training for the impossible

Today I've braved work without cold medicine. I do declare (said in my most Scaret O'Hara-esque voice) that I have turned the corner on this thing (read: "thang"). In fact, I felt well enough for an easy run yesterday, but the weather didn't cooperate. It was so cold, dark and rainy that I decided against it. I'm sure the extra day off only helped to get me back on my feet. Today seems bleak as well, but so far it's only drizzling, and according to my handy dandy home page today will be "partly cloudy," with no precipitation mentioned.

On my lunch break yesterday I spent some time mapping out new running routes. Thanks to a fellow blogger-pal I now have a new tool: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ This thing (once you figure out how to get to your actual address) can be used to map out routes all around your city and calculates the distance(s) for you - distance between legs and total distance. I love it! I've worked out about 5 new routes now. Thanks again for this tip, Mary.

AND I let impulsivity get the better of me and I signed up for a 5k race on March 22. Something took over me and I just did it (thanks, Nike, for the idea to "just do it.") without much forethought. I've not run a race since I was on the track team in 9th grade! I figured that if I actually paid REAL money and had to put my REAL name on the paperwork, that I would go through with it. Of course I'm in NO shape to actually win a race like this, having had no official training for it. I've just been running on my own with no real goals, other than to run 3-5 miles at least 5 days per week.

To be honest, I'm scared shitless of running in an actual race. In fact, I'm not telling my family about it. I'll simply leave when I need to and tell them I'm going for a run - which is true - and then I'll return afterward. Of course, I'll probably finish last in my age group, but at least I will have proven to myself that I can run - and finish - a 5k race.

How many people actually place in their very first race? My main problem is that I'm so damned competitive. I expect far too much out of myself, really with everything, and I'm very hard on myself when I fail to live up to my own expectations. I'm scared that I'll go off like a shot, determined to be in the front of the pack, only to wimp out on the last leg. I have bad memories of doing just that in high school.

I just don't want to embarrass myself. That's all. I want to do better than I expect myself to. Is it so ridiculous to want to at least place in the top 10 in my age group? I know that's impossible, really, because I've just checked the 2007 5K rankings of my age group in Georgia. There is no way in hell I can compete with these people! The top ranking female in my age group ran a 17:21. That's so outrageous it makes me giggle! The 10th ranking female ran a 20:01; 20th ranked - 21:58.

Yep. I'm in trouble. It's time to train and train hard. I have 7 weeks.

Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care (about time)
If so I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is - Chicago

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so excited for you to run your first 5K!! I ran one right after we moved back in May. It was ROUGH! Mostly because I wasn't yet used to the higher elevation. I didn't finish first. Far from it...but I didn't finish last either!! I was so proud of myself and you will be too! Those races are fun and at least from my experience, all the people are very nice and chatty :)

I use a Nikon D40 (though my eventual goal is to get either a D300 or a D200 - hubby says I need a D2x LOL). My lens is just the 18-55mm kit lens that came with it. Though again, after taxes I want to try out the 55-200mm to start then move onto a macro! So many lenses to choose from! The colors come from my bumping the color info up to Vivid+ in the camera :)

What kind do you use?

GetBackJoJo said...

You are going to love it and become a race addict. I can feel it! Honestly, if you're competitive you'll have so much fun. I totally don't think it's out of your reach to be in the top 10 in your age group. Even if you don't do it this time, there's always the next 5k, and the next....
Glad you like pedometer! It's a great tool.